Trainee doctors and dentists can apply for funded study leave. The Scotland Deanery operates a national process and system to ensure that all applications for study leave are considered on a fair, equitable, and consistent basis.
The process for study leave application is as follows:
- In the first instance, trainees should request leave (and have it approved) from the Clinical Lead / Rota Runner at least 6 weeks in advance of the event
- Once leave is approved by the service, an application is submitted on TURAS
- PLEASE ENSURE the appropriate TPD is selected
All ICM trainees – Dr C MacNeil (ICM TPD)
All Anaesthetists in Stage 3 – Dr P Harrison
All Anaesthetists in Stage 2 – Dr S Smith
All Anaesthetists in Stage 1 – Dr S Timalapur
All ACCS Anaesthetic trainees including Year 1 (AM/EM year) – Dr T McGrattan
If you are uncertain, please ask your College Tutor
- If you are unable to select the correct TPD on Turas, please raise a Turas helpdesk query (choosing “I have a Training Programme Management Query”)
- No requests made to the TPD, Dr J McGhie can be approved; the application will need to be resubmitted to the appropriate TPD
- Trainees MUST submit an application on Turas prior to taking study leave (6 weeks before the event)
- Trainees will receive notification when the appropriate Deputy TPD gives/declines support for study leave; if expenses have been requested (and approved) an expense form will also be included
- Trainees have a Notional Annual Allocation (NAA), and study leave will only be funded to this level. No matter what expenses are initially “approved” by the Deputy TPD; travel, accommodation and subsistence will be capped at the levels quoted in the Operational Guide
- Expenses forms MUST be submitted within three months of the study leave being taken; however, any forms submitted after 31st March will automatically be reckoned against the following year’s NAA
- The School does not support exam courses (aimed at written, OSCE or SOE) outside Scotland, unless a trainee is in extended time for failure to pass an exam
- Applications for up to five days of private study leave for the Primary and the Final FRCA are acceptable (at the discretion of the service); however, please note this is “per exam as a whole” and not “per sitting” (e.g. if one week of private study leave is taken for the written Primary, no further private study leave will be approved for the OSCE/SOE and/or any further sittings)
- When applying for a “multi-day” course (eg WOSSA Primary & Final FRCA Courses) please only submit one Turas application (with associated expenses) for the first day of the course. While we do not need a separate Turas request for every individual day, the service will still require the dates to be approved for local rota purposes.
Additional funding for presenting overseasThe training committee are able to provide some additional funding to support travel and accommodation for trainees who are presenting at meetings overseas.
Individuals are able to apply for funding of up to £350 twice during their training period.
To apply for funds, you should email Dr K Walker (Head of School) including a copy of letter of acceptance for presentation/poster and receipts for travel/accommodation.
Study leave for the meeting should still be requested for the meeting using the usual Turas process.
EDT LOG (docx)